This is a quick post because WordPress just deleted a much longer post: I’m encouraging you to call any of the following Senators (list below, with phone numbers) to voice your concern about HR 2578 — and while you’re voicing that concern, ask them to vote “No” on the bill. Here are some of the things it allows:
- Expansion of target practice opportunities on federal lands
- Dissolution or near dissolution of many environmental laws, including the Endangered Species Act
- Reversal of the National Park Service Plan
- Development of roads, watch towers, military operations, etc. on federal lands including reservations, National Parks, and National Forests within 100 miles of a land border of the United States
Specific areas affected include, but are not limited to:
- North Cascades National Park
- Big Bend National Park
- Allegheny National Forest
- Boundary Waters Canoe Area Wilderness
- Glacier National Park
By asking these Senators, who are on the Committee on Energy and Natural Resources, to vote “No,” you’ll be helping prevent the provisions of this bill from being implemented. Currently, the Committee on Energy and Natural Resources has the bill under review. Act now. Sign this petition and call the Senators below. You can also email the entire committee.
Not sure what to say when you call? Start with this and add your own reasons for caring.
Dear Senator [Senator’s Last Name], I’m calling to ask you to vote “no” to HR 2578. This bill harms well-established environmental protection laws and allows development of military operations on public lands. As a member of the Senate Committee on Energy and Natural Resources, I’m asking you to protect public lands. Thanks!
Pretty easy, right? Do it now.